Do You Have A Favorite Narnia Book?

As I mentioned in Friday’s post, Walden Media believes that The Magician’s Nephew holds the most popular position in the Narnia series after The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I’m not sure about that claim, so I decided to take an informal poll and see if any favorite emerges. While these results won’t resemble anything official, I’m interested to see which books rise to the top.

I know selecting a favorite Narnia book might be akin to picking a favorite child, but do your best. Feel free to elaborate in the comments about your choice or any close contenders.

This entry was posted in Christian Fantasy and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Do You Have A Favorite Narnia Book?

1. C.J. says:

I had to vote for The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe because it was the original novel that brought me into the series, and I still love it so much. However, it’s hard to just say that, so here’s how I’d rank all the books. 🙂

#1 The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
    #2 The Last Battle
    #3 The Magician’s Nephew
    Tie for #4 Prince Caspian
    Tie for #4 The Voyager of the Dawn Treader
    Tie for #4 The Silver Chair
    #5 The Horse and His Boy

Wow, I realized even ranking the books is hard! 🙂

2. Emily says:

I have to say, this was extremely tough. I’m still not entirely sure the one I picked is my ultimate favorite, but I went with it anyway. 🙂 I’m in agreement with C.J. in that I chose The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe because it was the first one I read, and from that moment on I was hooked.

My second favorite is definitely The Last Battle, which is perhaps even above The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on my list. The Horse and His Boy is probably next in line, and after that I’m not sure. If I had to choose a least favorite, it’d most likely be The Silver Chair. Even so, I thoroughly enjoy that one. That’s definitely a hard question though, and I’m not sure my answers were even accurate!

Wow, this is hard.
    I love The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe of course, because… well who couldn’t? That’s where it all begins (as Disney says about SnowWhite, it’s ‘The one that started it all’). That’s where the journey to becoming a Narnian begins!
    But for the poll I went with The Silver Chair. Everyone I talk to either loves or dislikes that book with not much in between, but I’m in the ‘Love it!’ crowd.
    The Magician’s Nephew makes me want to get into the Wood Between the Worlds and go exploring! Think of what must be out there!
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is such a bright, exciting, colorful adventure, what’s not to love?
    Don’t get me started on The Last Battle, or we’ll be here all day. Reading that one I get angry, then I cry, then I’m outraged, then I cry, then I’m happy, and I cry some more…
    Over all I would say that Prince Caspian was probably my least favorite, not because there’s anything wrong with it, it just didn’t get a hold of me like the others.
    The Horse and His Boy is a good adventure that intrigues me because it takes place solely in Narnia and there’s no world-traveling involved. I rather wish C.S. Lewis had written a separate series of such books, chronicling the adventures of born-and-bred Narnians.
    I’d better hurry and sign off now, before I start thinking about it and have to rearrange all of my favorites : )

4. Richard Hislop says:

I have to agree with C.J. on the top pick. It was one of the first books that got me into fantasy novels, and the first book that got me hooked on the series. I just love the story of it SO much as well. However, there are close seconds. Here is my order.

#1 The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
    #2 The Silver Chair
    #3 The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    #4 The Last Battle
    #5 The Magician’s Nephew
    #6 Prince Caspian
    #7 The Horse and His Boy

That was SO hard to put them in order! I realized how much I want a good movie to be made of the Silver Chair, I’ll take The Magician’s Nephew too though! I love all of these SO much! That is why it is hard putting them in order.

5. Sarah Sawyer says:

I agree with all of you that it’s tough to give preference to one book above another…and even my least favorite in the series I enjoy more than most other books. There’s so much to love about Narnia. 🙂

Mary, I love your idea about a separate series of books set in Narnia. I wonder if Lewis ever considered it?

Since you all provided such thoughtful perspectives on your favorites, I should probably attempt to rank mine too.

1) The Last Battle (I love what this reveals about eternity and how it brings the series to a perfect conclusion.)
    2) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (I almost put this as number one, especially because it hooked me on both Narnia and on fantasy in general since early childhood…it’s definitely a close contender for top spot.)
    3) The Magician’s Nephew
    4) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    5) The Silver Chair (I keep switching 3-5 around in my mind…it’s so difficult to pick.)
    6) Prince Caspian
    7) The Horse and His Boy

Well, I’m still not completely sure of that order, but it’s a rough approximation. I suppose they’re all my favorites. 🙂

6. Tadzo says:

Magician’s Nephew all the way for me, don’t know exactly why, I just love love love it.

2. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    3. Prince Caspian
    4. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (OMG Y IZ DIS NT IN DA TOP3??!!?!?)
    5. Silver Chair
    6. Last Battle
    7. The most out of place book in any book series ever, Horse and his Boy

There ya go!

7. SL says:

the Last Battle is horrible and it sucked. It’s stupid–how can anyone not notice that a donkey is pretending to be a lion?
    My favourite first is the silver chair (maybe because I own that one so I always read it), it taught me to always have faith in God although the “signs” might get muddled up and it seems like I messed up but I’ll always get there.
    Voyage and the Lion, the Witch… was just very fantastic but no deeper meaning, and there’s creeps like Edmund and Eustace which spoiled the book. The Horse and his Boy is very interesting and different. The Magician’s Nephew was incredible too.

8. Nathaniel says:

How can you guys put the horse and his boy last, it’s clearly got the best story… in a non-allegorical way.

1. Horse and his boy
    5. the voyage of the dawn treader
    6. the lion witch wardrobe
    7. silver chair
    8. magicians nephew
    9. The last battle and Prince Caspian

9. ??????? says:

1.The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (the best)
    2.The Magician’s Nephew
    3.The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
    4.The Last Battle
    5.The Silver Chair
    6.The Horse and His Boy
    7.Prince Caspian (the worst)

#2 The Silver Chair

2) The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
    3) The Horse and His Boy
    4) Prince Caspian
    5) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    6) The Silver Chair
    7) The Last Battle

In other words, I like them (in descending order) in the order in which they are meant to be read. The Magician’s Nephew definitely strikers me as the best. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe was the first one to be written and is a great story, despite borrowing some silly cryptic messages from Christianity (which The Magician’s Nephew does not so overtly borrow). The Horse and His Boy is a great adventure, and I like Prince Caspian because it has the four Pevensie children in. I like the first four the most, and then there is a drop in how much I like the last three by comparison.