Transitions

From the beginning, I’ve intended this blog to be a resource and connecting point for Christians who love fantasy, not a personal life record. Yet in the past few months, I’ve ended up sharing several things going on in my life, with my health and with my family.

As I detailed weeks ago, my sisters and sister-in-law were in serious accident, and I’m excited to report that they’re all improving, by the grace of God. My sister-in-law has come out of a coma, something which the doctors gave her a 10% chance of doing, and we’re so grateful for God moving on her behalf! She hasn’t regained her ability to speak or walk, and she’s working on basic motor skills right now, but she’s regularly improving, and we celebrate the changes each day. From the doctors’ perspective this will be a journey of a year or more (although we believe God can accelerate the process), and she’s still in a place where she requires constant care and attention. My husband and I have been traveling to the hospital several days a week to help relieve my brother.

As you can imagine, the aftermath of the accident along with other recent issues have brought several shifts to our lives. I’m a writer, so I’m supposed to know how to say exactly what I feel, but the truth is I can’t fully articulate what God is doing right now. I only know that He’s asking me to restructure my life for a season and give up certain things for now to make more space to care for my family and handle my own health-related issues, among other things. These changes mean putting aside blogging and the pursuit of publication for a time.

Writing will still remain part of my life. I can’t imagine otherwise, because it’s part of how God created me, but I am putting on hold some of the ancillary writer activities.
My husband and I are on a journey, and I’m excited to see how it will unfold.

I always wonder when bloggers seem to disappear, so I wanted to let you know a few of the details that went into my decision to take a hiatus. I value the relationships I’ve formed here, and I hope you’ll check back on occasion to see what unfolds next!

P.S. The giveaway for DawnSinger will still remain open until Friday, and I’ll contact the winner via email as always.

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in God and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Transitions

1. I am so glad to hear all your sisters are improving! Praise God!

Oops, I guess I’m one of those bloggers who just disappeared. I’m terrible at maintaining a blog, I guess…it’s just been lack of motivation for me, and not knowing what to write about.

I hope your hiatus is blessed and that you are still able to cultivate your writing during this time. God bless!

We are definitely praising Him for the work of healing He’s doing. 🙂

I’ve missed reading your blog posts, but I’m glad to hear that all is still well with you. I hope God gives you an increase of inspiration and creativity for your blog and your books!

2. Maria Tatham says:

Dear Sarah,

Rejoicing with you over your good news about your sister-in-law and sisters! Best wishes and prayers as you and your husband share your unfolding journey! May the Lord direct in every way!

In His love,
    Maria

3. I took time off from the Internet several years ago, and I did some of my best writing ever. I hope it works that way for you. I know you’ll be busy. I know you’re in a hard place. I pray it will all be good and aid you in your journey toward Christlike-ness. I’m glad God answered your prayers for your sister-in-law’s life, and I trust that he will continue to bless her and you all as you journey with her toward recovery.

Sally, hearing about your experience lifted my heart. Thanks for sharing! I know God will bring forth much good from this, and I truly appreciate your encouragement. We’re so grateful for all He has done, and all that He’s continuing to do.

4. Praise God for your sister-in-law’s improvement! It’s so wonderful to see Him answering prayers like this! She, as well as you and the rest of your family will continue to be in my prayers.
    I also want to commend you for your willingness to take God’s plan in stride, even when it means restructuring your life like this, Sarah. It shows great faith and spiritual maturity. We can all take a lesson from you in that.
    Blessings and grace, my sister. I look forward to hearing from you somewhere down the road.

~Mary

We’re amazed at the number of prayers that have gone up around the world (literally) for our family, and so thankful for the way God has answered them. I appreciate your continued prayer, and your words of encouragement mean a great deal during this time. You’ve blessed me greatly just by your comment. 🙂

5. I know this is a hard decision. It’s one I’ve wrestled with before although never under such extreme circumstances. I admire your courage and selflessness. As Mary said above, it shows great faith and maturity to set aside something so dear to your heart in order to do what God’s called you to do. I believe He will bless you for it. I pray you find rest amidst this new phase of your life, and that you will hear God’s voice, loud and clear, when it’s time to pursue writing once again. We’ll be waiting to read your words!

Evangeline, God used your words to greatly brighten my day. It takes another writer to understand exactly what goes into this sort of decision, and I appreciate you taking the time to offer prayer and encouragement for the journey!

6. I’ll miss reading your posts, Sarah. I once took basically a five year break when I was working on my very first manuscript. Life had become too difficult and I had peace that it was a different season. It will be the same for you. The good thing is the amount of material I gleaned during that time still produces fruit in my writing. Just make sure and keep a journal handy…you won’t regret it…

Hearing the experiences of other writers who have made similar decisions in the past stirs my faith. I know God will accomplish things in this time that will ultimately strengthen my writing…it’s just a matter of waiting for Him to unfold everything. 🙂

7. Sarah, thanks for filling us in about your sisters and sister-in-law. (I take it your sister’s surgery went well). It is a wonderful answer to prayer that SIL is out of the coma. I’ll continue to pray for her (their) full recovery.

I am also praying that you’ll soon see some progress in your own health issues.

I trust that God will use these coming weeks and months for your good and His glory. He’s gifted you as a writer, Sarah–that’s without doubt. Your blog is such a wonderful resource for anyone who loves fantasy. What you know and what you’ve studied about the genre and its tropes put me to shame. All that to say, I’m looking forward to the time when you can return to blogging, should God lead you in that direction. I subscribed to your blog, so if and when you take up the task again, I’ll be at your doorstep–Lord willing. 😀

Becky

Becky, my sister’s surgery went great! Of course, the recovery time isn’t always easy, but she’s doing much better and now working with physical therapy to get her range of motion back. I’m thankful for all the prayers you and others have offered in our behalf. 🙂

Thank you for letting me know that my blog has been a helpful resource…that was my hope from the beginning, so it’s a great encouragement to hear it! God has a purpose for this time, beyond even what I can perceive now, and He’s using your words (and those of the others who have commented) to reiterate that to me. His leadership is perfect, and I look forward to seeing what He will accomplish.

8. Jeff Chapman says:

Hope your sisters and sister-in-law continue to improve and that your health improves as well. I will miss reading your blog, especially those entries on mythical beasts.

Thank you so much, Jeff! There’s so much I still want to explore (mythic beasts and other fun fantasy things), so I’m hoping the day will come when I can pick it back up again. 🙂

9. Suzanne says:

Sarah-

Praise God for the good news concerning the health of those involved in the accident! Our God is Jehovah-Rapha, the God Who Heals!

I will miss your posts, girl. I have not been able to find anyone else doing what you’re doing on your blog (presenting a Christian speculative view) with the excellence you’ve done it with. I understand the need to take a break, however, and I wish you the best with any writing you do in this season!

Blessings in Christ,
    Suzanne

He is accomplishing a tremendous work of healing, completely contrary to the expectations of the doctors. We have so much to be thankful for!

As I said to Becky, it means a lot to know that my blog has connected with those who love and appreciate Christian speculative fiction. It’s been a joy to get to know all of you. 🙂

10. I’m glad to hear your sisters and sister-in-law are doing better. What a blessing! I understand your hiatus, and I pray God will bless and renew you during this time. I’ll miss your updates though! Thank you for ministering to others through this blog, and I look forward to where God takes you next.

Janeen, thank you so much for your prayers and kind words! You’ve always been an encourager, and that’s much appreciated 🙂

11. Sarah, I’m sorry to learn about your sister’s accident. Best wishes.

12. Hi Sarah!

Black Fox In Thin Places is now available at Amazon.

I hope you and yours are well!

Merry Christmas!